Name : Manohar Gajanan Joshi
Father's Name : Shri Gajanan Krishna Joshi
Mother’s Name : Smt. Saraswati Gajanan
Date of Birth: : 2 December 1937
Place of Birth: : Nandavi, Distt. Raigad (Maharashtra)
Marital Status : Married
Date of Marriage : 14 May 1964
Spouse’s Name : Smt. Anagha Manohar Joshi
No. of Children : Two Daughters One Son
Languages Known : Marathi, Hindi and English
Education : M.A., LL.B. Educated at Mumbai University (Maharashtra)
Profession : Educationist and Industrialist
Permanent Address : 101, Oceana Apartments, Shivaji Park, Keluskar Marg, Dadar, Mumbai-400 028 (Maharashtra)
Present Address : 20, Akbar Road, New Delhi 110011
Tels. (011) 23014011, 23014022
Fax (011) 2301 6212
Books Published (both are in Marathi) :
1) Swachh Mumbai (स्वछ मुंबई),
2) Harit Mumbai (हरित मुंबई).
Literary, Artistic and Scientific Accomplishments
- Set up a Kala Academy at Dadar in Mumbai
- Instituted Maharashtra Bhushan Award.
- Krishna Valley Irrigation Project in Maharashtra.
- Mumbai-Pune Expressway Project.
- Various schemes like "tanker Free Maharashtra" Scheme.
Started Kamdhenu Policy for Women, ‘Matoshri Vrudhashram Scheme’ for the aged, and Sainik Schools for the youth, during his tenure as Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Organised a graceful ‘Akhil Bharatiya Sahitya Sammelan’ at Shivaji Park, Dadar, also started Jagatik Marathi Chamber of Commerce and Industries.
Social and Cultural Activities
- Closely associated with many educational and social organisations.
- Conceived the idea of ‘Clean Mumbai-Green Mumbai’ during his tenure as Mayor of Mumbai.
- Started Reading Room facility with an idea of helping the poor and needy students.
Theatre, social service and promotion of sports, especially cricket.
Sports and Clubs
Former President, Mumbai Cricket Association, Former Vice-President - Cricket Control Board of India
Australia, Bangladesh, Canada, China, Croatia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Iran, Israel, Japan, Kenya, Mauritius, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Russian Federation, Republic of Korea, South Africa, Spain, Switzerland, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America and Zambia.
- During the Chief Ministership (1995-99) - Organised “Advantage Maharashtra”.
- Conference to promote industrial investments in the State.
- Arranged a programme known as ‘Agro Advantage Maharashtra’ for farmers and also an exhibition displaying information on advanced technology in the field of agriculture.
- Led delegations to Australia, Canada, China, Israel, Japan, U.K. and U.S.A. for bringing investment to the State of Maharashtra
- Constructed number of flyovers in Mumbai
- As Union Cabinet Minister (2000-2002), led ministerial delegations to Canada, Mauritius and U.S.A.
- As Speaker, Lok Sabha, led Indian Parliamentary Delegation to Poland, Croatia, Geneva and China.