|Mumbai City||Mumbai Suburban||Nagpur||Nanded||Nandurbar||Nashik||Osmanabad||Palghar|
Chandrapur (Marathi: चंद्रपूर) is a city and a municipal corporation in Chandrapur district in the state of Maharashtra, India. It is also the headquarters of Chandrapur district. As the city has passed the population limit of 3 lakh, with the population of 3.73 lakh as per 2011 census, in a decision made on 20th Oct, 2011 by the state cabinate, Chandrapur municipal council is elevated to the D-grade Municipal Corporation status, along with Latur and Parbhani in the state.
The city of Chandrapur has ancient temples of the goddess Mahakali and of Anchaleshwar, a form of the god Shiva. Chandrapur is also known as Chanda. The region is very rich in mineral wealth such as iron ore, limestone and coal. Many cement factories are located in this region. Due to large number of coal mines present around the city, the city is also known as City of Black Gold.
Places of Interests:
The historical embracing of Buddhism, the ‘Deeksha’ ceremony, by Dr. B. R. Ambedkar and his followers took place in the city in 1956. On 16 October 1956 Dr. B. R. Ambedkar gave Diksha of Buddhism to his followers at Chandrapur. Afterward this place is known as “Deeksha Bhoomi” Chandrapur is the birthplace of barrister Rajabhau Khobragade. Dr. Ambedkar chose only Nagpur and Chandrapur for Dharmantar (acceptance of Buddhism) and therefore Chandrapur has historical importance. Barrister Rajabhau Khobragade established “Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar college of Arts, Commerce and Science” in the Deeksha Bhoomi premises.
A branch of Buddhivruksha from Buddha Gaya is planted in the premises and is growing gracefully. Two day function of “Dhamma Chakra pravartan din” is hosted on 15 and 16 October every year on this holy place. Thousands of pilgrims and monks visit Deekshabhoomi during the function.
Indian National Congress - Chandrapur District Office Bearer